05 April 2009
Oi Anii....Oi Raeesu....Oi Nasheedhu...
Just like president Nasheed asked himself last night when launching the campaign, if he should talks such things, I also asked myself if I should call the president like this!
I think time has come for me to call like that even.
Oi Anni. Did you know that our country is going to a very wrong path. Jail was burnt, prisoners are ruling the jail,religious extremism is expanding and growing. Today we saw in headlines that there are improvised explosive device (IED)are found in jail which is, meant to be the place where people are kept for punishment. OK. Something may happen. But who will take the responsibility.
Anni... There is a Parliament in this country. There are rules and regulations. The government must be responsible and answerable for what they do. Is there anyone in this government to take the responsibility of what is going on in the jail? The counselor who was in charge of jail all these days resigned saying that the government was no facilitating to improve jail conditions. Did he realize it after the whole jail was turned to ash? Who was there to ask him if he fulfilled his duty? In my last article on this blog I did mention of what he was doing there.
Now.. Anni.. Things are going form bad to worse, you need to take some actions.
I recommend few here.
1. Ask the MNDF to look after jail till things get back to normal.
2. Ask police to carry out a detailed investigation of how and why unwanted or forbidden materials and drugs enter the jail and make the wrong doers responsible in respect of their job or party.
3. Separate all the people serving life time prison terms immediately.
4. Give the task of turning every stone regarding the case of Maldivians arrested in Pakistan and the IED found in jail to an investigation unit consisting of members from Police, MNDF and a expert from abroad.
5. Change the duty roasters of jail guards, their duty positions in prison regularly under direct supervision of home ministry.
6. Show us a Home minister. Not a one man show where Amin faisal is the defense minister, peon, home minister adviser etc... ( Last time I said going for a bid to get a home minister will be a good idea....If not make Laila(first lady), the Home minister. At least I hope she'd be trust worthy for you.
7. Start dealing with the potential problems before its too late. Not only we need to look at the parety now, we also need to look at whats going among some religious groups here. This may be a point some may not like, yet the truth.
So..If things no solid action is taken to correct the problems in jail, I'd not say your story is one of a success.
I am Rafiu Jameel from Addu City, Maldives. I use Alif Laam Gaaf as my pen name which stands for 'pen that loves fairness' ( Insaafah Loabikuraa Galan) Tell you the truth, I am not a so called IT person. However, if I never use internet , I'd stay a stranger of this wide network of information, which I am sure does not sound very good for a teacher in the 21st century. I am not someone who is so good in English either. Yet I am not someone who wish to make it a barrier for me to express what I think and what I believe. Thank you for visiting my blog. I welcome any comments or criticism that fits to the limits of Islam and constitution of Maldives. Indeed, I'd love to get your comments. :) Please, kindly refrain from using any foul words. Hope you'd enjoy my blog posts.